General Admission Criteria
The application and admission process for Pre-Kinder consists of several stages:
- Advertisement (Notice Publication)
- Application Dates and Payment of the Application Fee
- Delivery of Information to Parents/Guardians
- Applicant’s Evaluation
- Parent/Guardian Interviews
- Delivery of Results
- Enrollment Confirmation
Information in relation to these stages is detailed below.
In consequence to our admission policy the priority criteria for the admission process, are the following:
- Applicants with siblings enrolled at Santiago College from Pre-Kinder to 12thGrade
- Within new families, with similar results, alumni and staff children
- The balance in gender will be considered when assigning the spaces, an approximately 12% margin of difference will be admissible
Santiago College offers a total of 135 vacancies for Pre-Kindergarten, to be distributed among applicants participating in the regular admission process, belonging to both school families and new families.
Pre-Kinder Application and Admission Process Dates
The application process is divided in two phases. The first one exclusively for school families (with children enrolled at Santiago College as of Pre-Kinder). The second one for new families.
- Application for school families (with children enrolled as of Pre-Kinder)
- Notice Publication Date : Thursday, December 7, 2023
- Application Dates: Monday, December 11 through Thursday November 16, 2023
- Application for new families
- Notice Publication Date : Friday January 5, 2024
- Application Dates: Wednesday March 6 through Wednesday March 20, 2024
Visit of the applicant and guardians:
Saturday March 16
Saturday March 23
These are group visits, we expect all applicants and parents/guardians attend. It will only be possible to reschedule a visit if we have an available date.
Parental Interviews: From April 1 to April 30
Delivery of results: Friday May 10, 2024
- Age required to enter Pre-Kindergarten: 4 years old on March 31 of the corresponding school year (of entry). The required age will be detailed at the time of the call for each admission process.
- Parents/Guardians must complete the online application for admission form, which will be available at the school’s website www.scollege.cl during the application dates scheduled for this process.
- Parents/Guardians must attach the child’s Birth Certificate electronically to the form, if the child is Chilean (delivered by the “Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación” online). If the child has a foreign nationality, parents/guardians must present a digital copy of the “Cédula de Identidad Extranjero” (if this document is not availablea copy of the child’s Passport or Birth Certificate) to check the official name and date of birth.
- Application Fee: The guardian will be requested to pay an application fee of 2UF payable by WebSite through the online application for admission form or in person at the school from Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm (during application dates only). When validated the amount will not be refund.
- Parents/Guardians must sign the document “Declaración” in which they acknowledge they have been informed, by the School, about the different stages and characteristics of the process. This document will be sent through the Docusign platform after the application process is over. It is important to note that signing this document is a requirement to validate the application and go ahead with the corresponding admission process.
Delivery of Information to New Families
Prior to or during the evaluation period of the applicants, information on this process will be delivered in an informative meeting which includes an audio visual presentation with information regarding the admission process and also about the characteristics of the school. We expect parents to attend. This information will be shared with parents/guardians who reside abroad (by email). In the case of parents/guardians who reside in Chile and neither of them can attend, they must give written notice so that we can emailed them the corresponding information. Rescheduling the date of the Talk will depend on date availability.
The admission process will be face-to-face for applicants that live in Chile. Applicants living abroad will participate on an online process. Both ways will be valid.
Face to Face Admission Process (Applicant)
- Parents/Guardians who have completed the online application process and payment and have sent the document “Declaración” duly signed, will be contacted by the Admissions Office by email to the email addresses registered on the child’s application form.
- Applicants and parents or guardians will be invited to join a group visit to the school. Although the attendance is free, parents will receive an electronic form attached to the email to confirm their attendance, for the date and time allotted for their visit.
- Applicants will be called for a maturity group evaluation that will be carried face-to-face. At first, each group will be formed by 16 children, for a social emotional observation while in a game instance. Afterwards, groups will be formed by 8 children, to observe them through an observation guide the achievement and maturity reached by each child in the different areas to be observed, which will include language, logical and verbal reasoning, and aspects of development.
- The estimated time for the face-to-face observation is approximately 50 minutes
- The evaluation is not a diagnostic or knowledge assessment of the applicant.
- The different areas will be observed through a guideline that will deliver a score. The evaluation aims to determine if the child is mature enough to enter Pre-Kindergarten. No special preparation is needed.
- The applicant´s evaluation will correspond to the 60% of the admission process for applicants that will continue until the end of the process
Online Process (Applicant)
- Parents/Guardians who have completed the online application process and have sent the document “Declaration” duly signed, will be contacted by the Admissions Office by email to the emails registered in the application form. The email will include the day and time of the online evaluation session and the link for the parents/guardians to connect to the online session with the applicant and the evaluation team.
- Along with this information we will send a Protocol that includes the material the child will need for his/her online evaluation and other specifications in relation to the necessary preparation.
- The estimated time for the online evaluation is approximately 30 minutes.
- Through the evaluation we will observe the maturity and development achieved in the different areas, reached by each child at this point. The areas to be observed are; language, logical and verbal reasoning, and general aspects of development.
- This is not a diagnostic assessment and does not measure knowledge.
- The different areas will be observed through a guideline that will deliver a score. The evaluation aims to determine whether the child is mature enough to enter Pre-Kinder. The child does not require special preparation.
- The applicant´s evaluation will correspond to the 60% of the admission process for applicants who continue until the end of the process.
Areas to observe and Weighting
MOTOR SKILLS /4 points – 7%
Fine and gross motor skills
LANGUAGE /18 points – 31%
Oral language comprehension, oral language expression
COGNITION /12 points – 21%
Memory, attention, mathematical logical reasoning
OVERALL MATURITY /3 points – 5%
EMOTIONAL OBSERVATION GUIDELINE
Socialization and adaptation /21 points – 36%
Total Score Obtained: /57 points – 100%
Score Review (General for both onsite and remote admission process)
Once the results of these evaluations have been attained, the scores obtained by the applicants will be revised. The review criteria is based on the scores established by the school to carry out this process.
The number of eligible applicants is larger than the number of existing vacancies.
Parents/Guardians of the applicants who, after the review have not reached the necessary score to continue in the process, will be notified by email before the end of the admission process (April 30th at the latest).
Parents of applicants that belong to new families, who after the review of scores continue in the process, will be summoned to a parent interview, which can be held in person or on an online modality, instinctively.
The purpose of the interview is to know the applicants’ families and, at the same time, that they get to know better our educational program, beyond the material already offered through the informative meeting, or audio visual presentation.
The school establishes principles aiming at promoting an integral development and for that purpose, it needs the commitment from all the members of the community, specially mothers/fathers and/or guardians. Therefore, during the interview that is meant for new families, it will be analyzed the consistency between the family’s expectations and the school’s mission, the educational program and the understanding and support for its principles.
The interview is scheduled by phone or email with the adults responsible for accompanying the child through his school life.
Parents’ interview and participation of the new families in the admission process, will be considered when assigning vacancies and it will correspond to the 40% of the result. The score obtained in the interview will be linked to a concept (grade) for the vacancies assignment. It can be held in person or in a remote mode, both options are valid.
Outstanding: 6,0 a 7,0
Good: 5,0 a 5,8
Satisfactory: 4,0 a 4,8
Unsatisfactory: 3,9 or less
Those families having children enrolled in the School won’t be interviewed, unless one of the parents is a parent/guardian of this new family. In this case, we will set a date for an interview with both parents (the new and old parent/guardian).
Parents of new families, whose children do not comply with the minimum educational achievement needed during the maturity assessment, would not be interviewed. Parents will be informed by email of the admission process result, the email will be sent prior to the date established to deliver the results.
Final Stage of the Process and Assignment of Vacancies
According to our admission policy, priority will be given to siblings of Santiago College students (PK-12th Grade). They will not be compared with the rest of the applicants. Priority does not imply the admittance of the applicant, he/she must comply with the minimum entrance score established.
Once the parental interviews have been completed, the Admission Commission meets and reviews the information regarding the scores obtained by the applicants. The evaluation of the applicant corresponds to the 60% of the final score. The gross score obtained by the child is transformed by applying a mathematical formula that will result in a standard score that will allow to sort and compare the scores within the applicants, regardless of their age. The Commission will review, as well, the parent interview which equates the remaining 40%. The scores of new family applicants that complete the admission process will be sorted from high to low scores. It is important to reiterate that according to the priority criteria:
Within new families with similar results, priority will be given to alumni and staff children.
The balance in gender will be considered when assigning the spaces, an approximately 12% margin of difference will be admissible
Delivery of the Results
The date for delivery of the results will be informed to parents/guardians in the call to the admission process, through the school’s website, posters and in the informative meeting for parents that will be held face-to-face or through the information that will be sent to parents through email that could not attend the talk..
The results will be delivered by email at the end of the admission process, on the established date. In the event that the admission process ends before the established delivery date, the results may be sent prior to the date. Once the results are communicated to parents, the list of applicants who are admitted, on the waiting list or not admitted will be published in accordance with current regulations.
The school will deliver a report of the children who are not admitted when Parents or Guardians request it in writing, this request must be submitted no later than the Friday after the established date for the delivery of results was set and will be delivered to parents. The school has set a maximum of 15 working days to deliver such a report.
The date and information regarding the registration procedure will be informed to the parents of children who are offered admission, either in the acceptance letter or separately in a financial letter that will be sent by email.
Application process Prekinder 2024
Application Process Pre-Kinder 2024 Exclusively for applicants with siblings enrolled in Santiago College PK-4EM