The International Baccalaureate
The International Baccalaureate is one of the elements that keep the tradition of leadership of Santiago College prevailing. We have been part of the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) since 1982, constituted by over 3,550 colleges in 144 countries,. Founded in 1968, this not-for-profit educational foundation has its origins in the joint efforts of a group of educators whose ideal was the hope that, by sharing an academic experience in which critical thinking and contact with various points of view are accentuated, intercultural tolerance and understanding would be generated among the world’s youth.
IBO’s central objective therefore is to form solidary, informed and avid-for-knowledge young people capable of creating a better and more peaceful world, in a framework of mutual understanding and intercultural respect. In that framework, Santiago College is inscribed in the three levels of its educational programs:
- Primary School Program (PEP): for children between 3 and 12 years
- Intermediate Years Program: for children between 11 and 16 years
- Diploma Program: reserved for students between 16 and 19 years.
Santiago College has been a pioneer in offering the three IBO programs.
This curriculum is widely recognized as a balanced program that promotes not only academic excellence and intellectual development but the formation of values and soft skills. The desired profile of an IB student therefore is to be:
- A critical and humanitarian thinker,
- An informed citizen in local and global questions, being capable of appreciating the human essence shared between all peoples, and
- Respectful toward the variety of cultures and attitudes that enrich life.
Following its development in recent years, the International Baccalaureate (IB) is becoming another tool for entering Chilean universities. Today, 18 Chilean universities offer the possibility of entering some of their courses directly to students having the Diploma of the International Baccalaureate, under agreements with the Chilean International Baccalaureate Association:
- Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso
- Universidad Andrés Bello
- Universidad Internacional SEK–Chile
- Universidad La República
- Universidad Mayor
- Universidad de Los Andes
- Universidad UNIACC
- Universidad del Pacífico
- Universidad San Sebastián
- Universidad de Viña del Mar
- Universidad del Bío–Bío (Concepción)
- Universidad Gabriela Mistral
- Universidad de Concepción
- Universidad Austral de Chile
- Universidad del Desarrollo
- Universidad Santo Tomás
- Universidad Diego Portales
The Diploma is also widely recognized abroad. Students are admitted into prestigious universities around the world, including famous institutions like Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale and Heidelberg.